This post is sponsored by Better Batter Gluten Free Flour, all opinions are honest and my own.
One of my all-time favorite cookies is the Linzer cookie. Two shortbread cookies with some jam sandwiched in between. They’re just plain yummy. However, in order to get these perfect bakery style cookies, you need a perfect dough that you can roll out and cut. While that sounds easy enough, gluten free doughs are notoriously dry and crumbly! But I think I’ve cracked the code on making the perfect Gluten Free Linzer Cookies.
Now that Thanksgiving has come and gone, I’m finally allowed to take out the Christmas decorations. Of course, while decorating for Christmas my mind is on one thing: cookies! I decided to look through my 25 Days of Gluten Free Christmas Cookies from last year to see what I’d be serving Santa this year. While there are so many wonderful options on that list, by far my favorite is the one inspired by my Mom’s cookies!
Tips for Gluten Free Linzer Cookies
- Chill the dough over night, this helps makes it nice and firm to roll out.
- If you don’t have a decided gluten free kitchen, roll the cookies out with a wine bottle instead of the rolling pin. It’s nearly impossible to make a wooden rolling pin gluten free friendly once there’s been flour on it.
- Bake the tops and the bottoms of the cookies with different pans, the cut out hole in the top will make them bake faster than the bottoms.
- Mix the raspberry jam up with a spoon in a bowl first, this well make it spread much more evenly than talking it directly from the jar.
I made these Gluten Free Christmas Cookies last year using Batter Better All Purpose Gluten Free Baking Mix. They come out absolutely perfect, tasted just like mom used make me! Since this dough rolled out so beautifully I thought I’d just tweak it slightly in order to make my gluten free linzer cookies. I was so happy with the results. Growing up I have found memories of going into a bakery in Providence with my mom. There I would get a linzer cookie the size of my head. However, I decided to make mine just a few bites big. Because I know I’ll always eat more than one cookies, so I might as well made them small so I can eat lots!
- 1½ Stick Butter, room temp
- ¼ Cup Cream Cheese, room temp
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 Cups Better Batter All Purpose Gluten Free Baking Mix
- Raspberry Jam
- Cream together the butter, cream cheese, and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add eggs one at a time, scraping the bowl in between
- Add vanilla
- Add GF Flour and mix until combined
- Chill dough over night
- Roll dough until ⅛ inch thick
- Using a round cutter, cut the dough into circles
- Use the smallest cuter to cut holes in half of the cookies
- Bake at 350F from 12-15 minutes
- Once cooled spread jam and sandwich between cookies
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar