This post is sponsored by Florida Dairy Farmers in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
Often times healthy food gets the reputation of being bland and that could not be more false. This Milk Poached chicken could not have more flavor. Poaching in milk creates such a pure almost creamy flavor. Topping it with pesto gives the chicken a real punch of flavor. I love to add some cherry tomatoes and sprouts to mine to keep the meal light and delicious. And bonus points for not having to turn on the oven on a hot Florida night!
When I heard #SundaySupper was teaming up with Florida Milk, I could not be more excited. I am a HUGE milk drinker! I still have a glass of skim milk with dinner almost every night, just like when I was a kid. Some people are into pairing food with wine, but I think every dinner pairs perfectly with milk! Milk is for more than just cereal, it’s a key ingredient to make all recipes more delicious!
It’s no secret that poaching is one of the healthiest cooking techniques. Most people use a broth or a stock to poach, but milk is my favorite poaching liquid! Because milk has a higher fat content than broth it really absorbs all the flavors you add to it. I keep mine simple, adding just some garlic, onion, thyme, and a bay leave. As the milk simmers these subtle flavors infuse themselves into the chicken breast. Milk poaching is such a versatile technique. When I’m crunched for time, instead of chicken breasts I’ll use chicken tenders to speed up the cooking process. You can also make delicious milk poached fish, my favorites are cod and swordfish. But when it comes to a milk poached recipe that the whole family loves, this chicken with pesto is always at the top of the list!
I moved to Florida from Martha’s Vineyard, which is a great farming community. I never imagined that Florida would have such a farming community as well. There are over 100 dairy farming families in Florida! Which is great, because I drink a lot of milk and love supporting local farmers! While I love living in the convenience of the suburbs it’s nice to know that there are over 120 thousand dairy cows within the state lines! I also love that as these cows are creating 270 million gallons of milk each year the Florida Milk farmers take the time to name all these busy cows! In addition to my milk poached chicken be sure to scroll to the bottom of the post to see what the rest of the Sunday Supper tastemakers are making with Florida Milk. And follow them on social media for even more recipe inspiration!
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 10 Sprigs Thyme
- 3-4 Cups Whole Milk
- Season chicken with salt and pepper
- Add to pot with a lid
- Add remaining ingredients
- Make sure there is enough milk to cover the chicken, this will vary depending on pot size
- Bring to a boil then simmer for about 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through
- Top with pesto and enjoy!
Love milk? Then check out this contest!
- Contest sponsor: Florida Dairy Farmers
- Contest dates: Contest runs from June 1st at 12:01am through June 30th at 11:59pm (1 winner each week & 1 grand prize winner)
- To Enter:
- Follow @floridamilk on Instagram
- Share a photo on Instagram during the month of June showing us what you make with milk for June Dairy Month
- Tag the photo @floridamilk and use the hashtag #JuneDairyMonth
Prizes: Each contest week runs from 12:01am – 11:59pm
- Week 1: June 1st-June 7th prize Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker
- Week 2: June 8th-June 14th prize $50 Publix Gift Card
- Week 3: June 15th-June 21st prize Vintage Milk Truck Cookie Jar
- Week 4: June 22nd-June 28th prize BBQ Set in Wooden Carrying Case
Grand Prize: All valid entries from June 1st – June 30th considered
- A year supply of milk ($275 value)
- A night for 4 at the Publix Apron Cooking School
- Florida Dairy Farmers gift basket
Winner notification & other rules:
- Winner(s) will be chosen at random each week and contacted via Instagram direct message. Winner(s) have 48 hours to respond and claim the prize or another winner will be chosen.
- Winner(s) will also be announced in the Sunday Supper Movement Newsletter in July
- Must be US resident 18 years of age or older
- This promotion is not sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Instagram
Sunday Supper Recipes Using Milk
Milk Recipes for Breakfast
- Crustless Spinach Quiche with Cheddar Cheese by Recipes Food & Cooking
- Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl by Love & Confections
- Easy Baked Grits with Sausage Gravy by Sunday Supper Movement
- Fresh Fruit-Topped Mini Pancakes by Girl Abroad
Milk Recipes for Lunch
- Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Soup by Life Tastes Good
- Creamy Spinach and Cauliflower Rice by Family Foodie
- Savory Caprese Oatmeal Bowl by Go Epicurista
- Vegetarian Croque Monsieur by Helpful Homemade
Milk Recipes for Dinner
- Gouda Grits with Creamy Asparagus and Crab Sauce by Soulfully Made
- Milk Poached Chicken with Pesto by Cricket’s Confections
- Potato Stack by Healing Tomato
- Triple Cheddar Chicken Pasta by Authentically Candace
Milk Recipes for Dessert
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Flour On My Face
- Coconut Flan by Desserts Required
- Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Popsicles by Casa de Crews
- Mini Boston Cream Cakes by The Crumby Cupcake
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.