Thought crispy breading could only come from the fryer? This oven breaded gluten free calamari will change your mind! Growing up my sister loved fried calamari. While it was never my dish of choice, when fried food was placed in front of me, you bet I ate it. As a kid, we’d always get some at the seafood shack before our steamers and lobsters. However, when I left for college I don’t think I ever ordered it again. Until, of course, I became gluten free and suddenly needed it! Nothing like knowing you can’t have something to make you crave it, right? Luckily, I discovered Better Batter’s Seasoned Flour so I can recreate all my fried favorites!
Everyone knows fried food isn’t good for you. However, my reason for choosing to oven bread is really not a health concern. Deep frying at home is so messy! And sometimes dangerous. My trick? A lot of pan spray! After I bread the calamari I transfer it to a greased sheet pan. I then spray directly onto them a heavy coat of pan spray. Sounds crazy? Well think about it, you just need them coated in fat to get that perfectly crispy crust!
- 1 Pound Calamari, Sliced into Rings
- 2 Cups Whole Milk
- 2⅕ Cups Better Batter Seasoned Flour
- Pan Spray
- Season the calamari with salt
- Dip the rings into the flour
- Add it milk
- Roll one last time in flour
- Spread on a greased sheet pan
- Spray the breaded calamari with pan spray
- Bake at 400F for 10-20 minutes until calamari is cooked and crispy
Comments on this post5 Comments
Comments are closed.