When it comes to football, I’m all about the snacks! These Tempura Cheesy Potato Balls will be the star of your gameday party. Hot and crispy tempura filled with bacon, gooey cheese, and creamy potatoes!
Can you believe there was a time in my life when I didn’t like potatoes?! I know, it seems crazy to me now, but as I kid I hated spuds of any kind. (Well, except french fries) I was a picky eater, the only things I liked were chicken fingers and pasta. I have definitely come a long way from then! Like many kids, I think I became so accustomed saying “I don’t like that!” when mashed potatoes were served I never thought to give them a second try. Then I meet my boyfriend, who probably loves mashed potatoes more than he loves me. I thought I’d give them another go, boy am I glad I did!
Now I love potatoes any way I can get them. Home fries, roasted wedges, mashed, smashed you name it, I love it! Especially if it’s an Idaho® potato recipe! With the big game around the corner it’s the perfect time for some potato recieps! Those cool Idaho nights create soil perfect for growing potatoes! And they don’t just grow russets, you can also buy their golden, fingerling, and red potatoes! Red potatoes make a perfect filling for my Tempura Cheesy Potato Balls! Potatoes often get a bad rep as an unhealthy starch. They’re starchy for sure, but they’re also got more potassium than a banana. They also contain both simple and complex carbohydrates, making them a great source of energy. And you need energy at a football party so you can cheer for your favorite team!
I love using the red Idaho® potatoes because of their waxy texture and thin skin, perfect for smashing! I hate peeling potatoes, so I’ll make smashed over mashed any day. Idaho® potatoes have consistently high solids, that helps to make a creamier smashed potato than red potatoes grown else where. While all red potatoes are fairly waxy, I find if you don’t get ones with that Idaho® potato seal they’re crumblier. I prefer that smooth texture of the red Idaho® potato! Just boil them until they’re tender pour some half and half in the pot and smash away! Then I fold in some bacon, green onions, sour cream, and shredded cheddar! All the essential game day flavors! Because no matter what team you’re rooting for, everyone loves those loaded mashed potatoes flavors while watching the big game!
To me, football party means lots of fried food. Tempura is my favorite way to fry, but frying that batter can be so messy. Instead, I just bread my smashed potato balls in potato starch, this gets that light crispy coating but without the mess! I love to make the filling the night before then just bread and fry on gameday. As someone who is not a football fan, I don’t understand how it is on basically all year round. But, thank goodness Idaho® potatoes are available year round so when I have to watch the game I can at least snack on some delicious Tempura Cheesy Potatoes!
- 1 Pound Red Idaho® potatoes
- ⅔ Cups Half and Half
- 2 Tablespoons Bacon Fat
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder
- ½ Cup Sour Cream
- ½ Cup Chopped Bacon
- ¼ Cup Green Onion
- ½ Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 3-4 Cups Potato Starch
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 3 Eggs
- Boil potatoes until fork tender
- Strain, but put back into hot pot with half and half and bacon fat
- Smash until creamy and a little chunky
- Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder
- Add sour cream, bacon, green onion, shredded cheese
- Cool mixture completely
- Shape into 24 small balls
- Mix salt and potato starch
- Whisk asks until frothy
- Roll balls in potato starch and then eggs
- Repeat 2 more times
- Fry in 350F oil
Your game day is not complete without some Idaho® potatoes. For even more potato recipes follow them on social media and be sure to check out what the rest of the #SundaySupper tastemakers are whipping up for the big game!
- Cajun Taters & Sausage by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Cheesy Bacon Potato Bite-Sized Snacks by Life Tastes Good
- Fingerling Potato Bacon Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Potato Football Candy by Shockingly Delicious
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Potato “Wings” by Food Done Light
- Healthier Mashed Potato Bowls by Cooking Chat
- Persian Lamb Stuffed Potato Cakes by Caroline’s Cooking
- Potato Salad Tortilla Bowls by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pulled Pork Potato Skins by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Steak and Potato Pizza by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Buffalo Smashed Potatoes by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Cheesy Sausage Stuffed Red Potatoes by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Cuban Garlic Mojo Potato Salad by Go Epicurista
- Tempura Cheesy Potato Balls by Cricket’s Confections
- Best Potato Wedges by Moore or Less Cooking
- Buffalo Blue Cheese Potato Bites by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Loaded Curly Fries with Gouda Cheese Sauce by Casa de Crews
- Potato and Chive Mini Waffles by My Life Cookbook
- Potato Blue Cheese Tartlets by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Potato Nacho Stacks by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Bacon Parmesan Potato Pavé Squares by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Want to win some Idaho® potatoes?! Then be sure to watch the Sunday Supper facebook LIVE at 4pm TODAY! (January29th) Family Foodie will be making some delicious chorizo and potato bites, perfect for the big game. If you listen real closely you’ll hear me in the background reading all the comments. The more you comment the more likely you are to win!
This post is sponsored by the Idaho® Potato Commission in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
Comments on this post24 Comments
Comments are closed.