There is something so comforting about a cake in a skillet! This Strawberry Buttermilk Cake is slightly sweetened with honey and has a beautiful light texture. It’s the healthy dessert you’ve been looking for.
I’m always trying to make my recipes healthier, and dessert is no exception. I have a huge sweet tooth, so skipping dessert is not an option. One of the reasons I love strawberries is because they have so many health benefits. Just 8 strawberries has more vitamin C than an orange, which is great for fighting those winter colds! They’re extremely low calorie with only 45 calories for per serving. This is low even compared to other fruits, a banana is almost 100 calories! I also love that strawberries have a low fat content, which is perfect when baking light and fluffy cakes like my strawberry buttermilk cake! I love that one of my favorite fruits has so many nutritional benefits!
This strawberry buttermilk was actually inspired by my Blueberry Maple Muffins. They have such a light and fluffy texture, I thought they would be perfect to adapt to a healthy cake. To make the cake even healthier than the muffins I swapped the clarified butter for buttermilk. Not only does it help to lighten up the cake, but that buttermilk tang pairs perfectly with my sweet Florida Strawberries!
- ½ Cup Cornstarch
- ½ Cup Brown Rice Flour
- ¼ Cup Oat Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Milk Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Chopped Florida Strawberries
- 1 Egg
- ½ Teaspoon Lemon Zest
- ½ Cup Buttermilk
- ½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Mix dry ingredients
- Add strawberries and mix well (This prevents them from falling to the bottom)
- Add remaining ingredients
- Pour into grease 8 inch pan or skillet
- Bake at 400F for about 15-20 minutes until a tooth pick comes out dry
Just because you don’t live in the Florida, doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy Florida Strawberries! They’re actually available in grocery stores all the way up the East Coast from November to April. But if you want to come taste the berries in Florida, you must enter their huge giveaway! All you have to do is post a photo of some of their berries with the hashtag #FLStrawberryCap! Not only will they send you a free cap, but you’ll be entered for the grand prize trip for four to the strawberry fields! Read all the terms and conditions, then be sure to enter because everyone needs a free vacation! Follow all of their social media to see the other entries and be sure to check out the other healthy strawberry recipes from the rest of the #SundaySupper tastemakers!
- Balsamic & Brown Sugar Strawberry Canapés by My Sweet Zepol
- Fresh Mozzarella Strawberry Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Strawberry Foccaccio by Healing Tomato
- Strawberry Avocado Crostini by Beauty and the Beets
- Strawberry Mango Salsa with Whole Wheat Cinnamon Chips by Meghan On The Move
- Feta and Strawberry Tabouleh Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Strawberry Caprese Salad with Balsamic and Mint by Authentically Candace
- Strawberry Panzanella Salad by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Pan-Seared Sea Bass with Butternut Squash and Strawberry Sauce by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Pork Chops with Balsamic-Strawberry Sauce by Life Tastes Good
- Strawberry Balsamic Grilled Chicken by Katie’s Cucina
- Strawberry Pesto Chicken by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Salad with Grilled Chicken and Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette by Family Around The Table
- Lightened-Up Strawberry Mille-Feuille by Girl Abroad
- Roasted Strawberry Pavlova with Lemon Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberries Romanoff by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Strawberry Buttermilk Cake by Cricket’s Confections
- Strawberry Pound Cake Kabobs With Chocolate Drizzle by My Sweet Savings
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
This post is sponsored by Florida Strawberry in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.