My Grandmother’s Pineapple Casserole is the perfect compliment to your Easter ham. Buttery bread and fresh pineapple, you’ll never want to eat ham without it. A cross between stuffing and strata it’s unlike another side, and is always a crowd pleaser.
As for most people to me Easter dinner means ham. But the past part of getting to eat ham, is hands down, getting to eat my Grandma’s pineapple casserole. It’s the perfect cross between stuffing and dessert, sweet and savory.
If you read my SheKnows Expert Article you already know how important my Grandmother was to me. It’s true she was one of the greatest people in the world. This was definitely one of her signature dishes. However, my Grandma’s recipe is loaded with sugar and butter. My mom took to halving the amount of sugar and butter when she would make it for us. So I guess I’m carrying the tradition on by also removing some sugar and butter.
As you know I’m trying to any only natural sugars found in fruits. Since this recipe called for canned pineapple with the juice drained I decided to swap the sugar for the pineapple juice. I reduced the juice by half, bringing out the natural sugars to almost make a syrup. While this recipe still is definitely not the healthiest, I can feel a little bit better about it knowing it’s not loaded with white sugar now.
- Serves: 8x8 Pan
- Serving size: ⅙ of the pan
- Calories: 184
- Fat: 11.3 g
- Sugar: 12.4 g
- Protein: 5.2 g
- 4 Eggs
- 1 20 Oz Can Crushed Pineapple
- 1 Cup Fresh Pineapple, Diced
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Bacon Fat
- 5 Slices Bread ( I used Udi's Gluten Free)
- Strain the juice from the crushed pineapple into a small pot
- Bring pineapple juice to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes
- Whip the eggs until light and fluffy
- Add the crushed pineapple, diced pineapple, and pineapple juice
- Spread mixture in bottom of a greased 8X8 pan
- Melt butter and bacon fat
- Cube bread and tossed with melted butter and bacon fat mixture
- Top the pineapple mixture with the bread crumbs
- Bake at 350 F for about 30 minutes until bread is golden brown