Chicken Enchiladas with Fresh Tomato Sauce is the perfect recipe to spice up your taco routine. Using fresh tomatoes instead of store bought sauce gives this dish a light and delicious flavor.
We have very few traditions in our house. Seems each holiday is celebrated differently, we don’t have predictable morning routines, dinner time vary from 5:00 as late are 11:00. But, there is one thing we take very seriously; Taco Tuesday. Sounds crazy but Taco Tuesday is our sense of normalcy, the one grounded aspect of our transient lives. Over the years it has changed, though most weeks it’s ground beef tacos other recipes get thrown in such these enchiladas which are one of my favorite make ahead meals. Traditional enchiladas are fried before covered in sauce and baked. To get a similar texture I use a smaller amount of sauce then a lot of recipes, this way part of the tortillas remain exposed. When they crisp up you get a nice fried like texture.
I love making these when I know I’m going to have a busy week. I’ll make them on Sunday and just throw them in the oven when I get home Tuesday! For this recipe I used diced fresh tomatoes that I just lightly puree that way there’s still a nice texture to the enchilada sauce unlike the stuff the you buy. That way I feel like I’m eating more vegetables, even if it’s not true.
Another bonus for this recipe, I used left over chicken! Since two people can never eat a whole chicken we often have left over shredded chicken. I just throw it in the freezer because it makes recipes like this so much simpler!
- Serves: 4
- Calories: 277
- Fat: 2.5 g
- Sugar: 4 g
- Fiber: 5.2 g
- Protein: 28.6 g
- 8 Soft Corn Tortillas
- 1 Cup Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
- 2 Cups Shredded Chicken
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Smashed
- 2 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1½ Teaspoon Mexican Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Water
- 1½ Cup Tomatoes, Chopped
- ¾ Cup Water
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Sweat onions and garlic in olive oil
- Add spices, tomato paste and 1 tablespoon of water
- Once water is evaporated add tomatoes and remaining water
- Simmer 30 then puree to desired texture, add salt
- Spread small amount of sauce in 9X9 pan
- Add most of remaining sauce to chicken, reserving some for the top
- Heat tortillas for 20 seconds in the microwave
- Add one spoonful to each tortilla and roll up, lining the pan with them
- Cover in remaining sauce and sprinkle with cheese
- Bake in a 350F oven for 40 minutes, enjoy!